C++ is an attempt to turn the C language
into a high level, object-oriented programming language
. It is worth no more than, and sometimes less than C to TUNES (ABI issues make inter-language work particularly nasty). Its object system is a poorly designed, ugly, class based hack, with poor support for multiple inheritance and no support for multiple dispatch
. C++ is worthless. For any task, there is a better choice of language.
Not everyone agrees with such flamebaiting language. There are many systems programming tasks where C++ is a fine language.
See also OpenC++.
- Python-like formatting rules:
- GCC: the famous GNU Compiler Collection, formerly the GNU C Compiler.
- The Intel C++ Compiler: Known to produce faster binaries than GCC.
- OdinMP OpenMP C compiler a compiler for shared-memory parallel programming in C/C++ using the OpenMP API.
- pC++/Sage++ Home Page a portable parallel C++ for high performance computers. pC++ is a language extention to C++ that permits data-parallel style opertations using "collections of objects" from some base "element" class.
- Lisp Plus Plus a library of Lisp-like functions and macros usable in C++ programs.
- Boost C++ libraries a large repository of free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries.
In particular see Boost Lambda Library a C++ template library providing lambda functions, function argument binding, and tuple types.
- Charm++ a parallel C++ library, and AMPI, an adaptive MPI implementation, provide processor virtualization.
- GRETA Greta Regular Expression Template Archive, a fast flexible PERL-compliant regular expression template library for C++.
- Illinois Concert C++ (ICC++) a high performance dialect of C++ which supports for parallel computation on shared memory and distributed memory machines.
- UC++ Project an extension of C++, incorporating in an integral way active objects, which allows the language to be used for building parallel systems.
- FC++: Functional Programming in C++ Higher-Order Polymorphic Functions in C++.
- FOG - Flexible Object Generator a meta-compiler for a super-set C++ whith preprocessing facilities using meta-object concepts. It renders the C preprocessor obsolete, eliminates substantial lexical redundancy from C++ and generalises C++ so that patterns can be realised by using meta-functions.
- The Frost Project (at freshmeat) a compiler wrapper that allows use multi-methods in C++ programs nearly as if they were a builtin feature.
- GNU E (ftp) a persistent C++ variant, the language for EXODUS, an Extensible OO Database System Toolkit, wich as has been succeded by the SHORE project, an High-Performance, Scalable, Persistent Object Repository.
- Prop a pattern language, C++ extension, includes string matching, algebraic datatypes, SML-style pattern-matching, pretty printing, term and graph rewriting.
- Template metaprogramming.
- TGC (Template garbage collector).
- Cmm - C++ with MultiMethods.
- FACT! Functional Additions to C++ through Templates and Classes: multiparadigm programming with C++ (imperative, OO, functional).
This page is linked from: .NET Ada Apostle AspectC/C++ C Compiler dlopen VM C language C# C++ Language ccg Choices D Design Pattern FALCON Felix Inheritance Libero Linear Logic Comments Mach Mica Microkernel Debate ML Object-Oriented Objective-C OpenC++ Orthogonal Parsing PL 101 Q shell Ravi RbCl ShagOS Sisal Stella language SWIG Trotskyite Tunes Type System Unity Project Visual BASIC